Saturday, June 21, 2008

Farmers Market Today (June 21st)

Howdy Everyone,
Well, today is saturday and for me that means the Farmers Market.
On Farmers Market day I wake up about 6:00 AM (which is actually pretty nice compared to the times that some of the market folks get up) and get ready for the day then I start the fun part..... Packing the van.
Packing the van takes about 10 minutes but it's no easy 10 minutes. I have to load 4- 40-50 pound cement blocks into the back of the van along with my two tables, my big tub of product (crochet), my pop-up tent thing (for lack of a better explanation), table cloths and of course a chair.

After it's all been loaded it's time to hit the road (about 7:20). The drive isn't long, about 10 minutes if you drive speed limit all the way.

Once I get there it's time to set up (yay, my second favorite part)!! Pretty basic really!! Just set up the tent, set up the tables, cover the tables, set out the product, get out my latest crochet project and wait for the people to start showing so that I can SELL.

Selling isn't always easy. Sometimes there alot of people interested and sometimes people just say "oh, that's cute" and walk by.

Now, as I have noticed today, it's good to have all kinds of products. Hats and scarves included. Yes I said Hats and scarves. People aren't just thinking summer all summer long. Alot of people start getting ready for winter early and today I really noticed that. I'll tell ya how I noticed. It's really pretty easy to tell what people are thinking when they're buying heavy winter hats when it's around 80 degrees or warmer outside. Of course, I do live in North Idaho and you just never know what the weather will be like. Just last week we were getting snow. Pretty incredible.

Anyways, after you've sold about all you can, and your pretty sure you could just go home and drop, you pack up your all your stuff again and get ready to unpack it (again). Break down starts at 1:00 pm. That's when the market ends.

Sometimes when the weather's bad you pack up your stuff as quick and you can and then help everyone else pack up there stuff. It's kind of a neighbors helping neighbors sorta thing. Every one helps one another. Very rare if you ask me.

Well, that's about all for a typical Farmers Market day. It's always the same. Get up early, get home around 1:30 or 2:00.



Here's my brief Farmers Market history.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been doing the Farmers Market in Bonners Ferry, Idaho for 5-6 years. I started when I was 14 when an older crocheting friend of mine asked if I'd like to have a booth with her. Of course I said yes cause I didn't have anything better to do and I can't really say I regret it.
The first thing I ever sold was a hat, and it was sold to a lady who had a booth at the market (and still does). After that I sold a lot of dishcloths and did some custom hat orders.

I have met so many neat people over the past few years and made alot of really great friends. It is also so nice to be able to make people smile when they are having a rough day.

If you have any questions about the Farmers Market at all feel free to leave a comment with your question(s) and I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks for reading this!!

Julee

Oh yeah, just in case everyone is wondering I made about $72.00 today in the first 3-4 hours and to think I almost stayed home today.

6 comments:

Sondra said...

I loved this post, as ONE DAY I'd love to sell at the Farmer's Market here. I can't imagine building up enough stuff to sell~I'm going as fast as I can, and it's all spoken for! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Julee aka Jewls said...

It does seem a bit overwelming at first but don't let it stress you out. Just work on things a little at a time and don't do any more than you know you can do. Enjoy crocheting and look at making a little money off of it as merely a bonus.

Even if you only make a few things a day or even 1 or 2 things a day set a few things out of that amount aside for your "To sell at the market" bin and add to it as you can. Before long you'll be amazed at the amount you have.

Also, don't spend alot of time on one item to sell. If you make smaller items you can usually do better selling wise. Little cell phone size bags always sell well for me. Beanies also, made in cotton and acrylic. They've always been my best seller during any month of the year.

Good Luck getting stuff made for the market. I know you can do it.

Have a great day!!! Julee

DaCraftyLady said...

thank you this helps a lot. We have a Farmer's Market here and I was thinking of getting into the selling part but not sure what I would put out and how much? Thanks for the tips and if you could tell me more about pricing I would really appreciate it..

Julee aka Jewls said...

Do you have any specific questions about pricing?

My last post was all about pricing. Well, about the amount I sell stuff for. Don't know how much help it is.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me here: julee_reeves at yahoo.com

Just sub. @ for at.

Julee

Sondra said...

*THANK YOU!* for sharing your wisdom and encouragement! I must admit, my desire is to sell shawls~beautiful ones! BUT I'm needing to get permission and don't even know how to contact one copyright owner. (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Julee aka Jewls said...

Hmm, what to charge for a shawl?
I honestly don't know but I would guess it would greatly depend on the cost of yarn and the amount of time taken. Maybe even look around on ebay and etsy. I certainly will and I'll let you know what I find.

Julee